Vortex OpenSplice is leading (Commercial and Open Source) Implementation of the OMG DDS Standard. It comes with a complete set of DDS documentation.
Find the documentation for Vortex Cafe, Vortex Insight, Vortex Link or Vortex Edge on a separate page.
The Vortex OpenSplice documentation will help you understand how to use DDS. The documentation contains everything you need to get started with Vortex OpenSplice. It will help you install Vortex OpenSplice DDS and run simple examples. The API documentation will help you develop more complex applications using Vortex OpenSplice.
After you have installed OpenSplice you will find the documentation bundle inside the distribution. The easiest way to find it is to look for the index.html page in the distribution and you should find links to all the user manuals.
Vortex OpenSplice Documentation
Getting Started with Vortex OpenSplice
The OpenSplice DDS Tutorial will help you become familiar with the Data Distribution Service (DDS) API. It provides a step by step guide which introduces you to the concepts of the Data Distribution Service
Getting started Guide
The Getting Started Guide provides:
- information for running your first example
- basic installation and configuration information
- how to license your installation
The OpenSplice launcher is a tool that will allow you to configure OpenSplice and run the examples easily. After installation you will be asked if you want to run it. You can also start the launcher by running the command
from the bin directory of your OpenSplice installation or from the windows start menu. The OpenSplice launcher guide can be found in the html pages inside the distribution.
Evaluating and benchmarking OpenSplice
To learn more about the how to get the best from Vortex Opensplice DDS then you should download the evaluating and benchmarking guide. This will help you choose the correct architectural model, choose the right networking service for your needs and show you how to benchmark OpenSplice DDs to get the best results. You can also view the evaluation guide in html format.
To help understand the concepts of DDS the Opensplice DDS tutorial provides a step by step guide to using the OpenSplice DDs APIs. It is based on the C API. Other language examples can be found in the installation in the examples/dcps/tutorial directory. Download the OpenSplice DDS Tutorial in pdf format or view in html format.
OpenSplice DDS Examples
A complete set of examples is provided in the OpenSplice installation. Just look in the examples directory to find these. The examples include:
You will find an html page in the distribution that shows you how to run these.
OpenSplice DDS RMI Guide
Vortex OpenSplice comes with a number of reference manuals which provide more information on using different aspects of Vortex OpenSplice. These are:
- Deployment Guide (pdf | html) – the essential reference for configuring OpenSplice DDS. It also includes information on the various configuration elements and attributes available to configure OpenSplice
- OpenSplice IDL PreProcessor User Manual (pdf | html) – provides detailed technical information on using and running the OpenSplice DDS Interface Definition Language (IDL) PreProcessor; idlpp.
- Secure Networking Configuration Guide( pdf | html) – this guide provides information on configuring and managing the OpenSplice secure networking module.
- Record and Replay API (pdf | html) – provides information on the OpenSplice Record and Replay Service API.
- OpenSplice_RnRManagerGuide (pdf | html) – provides information on using the OpenSplice Record and Replay Manager.
- Google Protocol Buffer Tutorial (pdf| html) – A tutorial on using Google protocol Buffers with OpenSplice.
- Modeling Guide (pdf ) – provides information on using the OpenSplice Modeler to create your application code.
- DDS MATAB Guide (pdf | html) – contains information on DDS MATLAB.
- DDS Simulink Guide pdf | html) – contains information on DDS Simulink
- DDS LabVIEW Guide (pdf) (html) – information on DDS LabVIEW.
Tool User Guides.
Vortex OpenSplice DDS provides a comprehensive set of tools to help you develop with OpenSplice. The following guides provide full documentation on how to use these tools.
The OpenSplice Tuner facilities for monitoring and controlling OpenSplice and the applications that use Vortex OpenSplice for the distribution of data. The OpenSplice DDS Tuner Guide (pdf | html) provides detailed technical information on using and running the OpenSplice DDs Tuner
The OpenSplice Tester
The OpenSplice Tester is an automated testing and debugging tool that provides an easy way to display the messages produced in Vortex OpenSplice. It also provides a means to publish messages to OpenSplice manually or with a script. The OpenSplice DDS Tester Guide (pdf | html) provides detailed information on using and running the OpenSplice DDS Tester application.
OpenSplice DDS Node Monitor
The OpenSplice DDS Node Monitor is used to monitor the performance statistics while Vortex OpenSplice applications run. The OpenSplice DDS Node Monitor Guide (pdf | html) provides detailed information on using and running the OpenSplice DDS Node Monitor application.
When you begin development on OpenSplice DDS you will need to consult the API documentation. Vortex OpenSplice ships with C, C++ (x2), C#, and Java (x2) APIs. C++ and Java have the original DCPS API support (referred to as Classic) and the newer ISO C++ and Java 5 PSM APIs. The C++ and Java APIs will have been built with a specific ORB and a specific compiler in the case of the C++ API.
The following API Guides are available:
- Java Reference Guide – a detailed reference describing the OpenSplice DDS DCPS API for the Java Language.
- C Reference Guide – a detailed reference describing the OpenSplice DDS DCPS Application Programmers Interface (API) for the C Language.
- C++ Reference Guide – a detailed reference describing the OpenSplice DDS DCPS API for the C++ Language.
- OpenSplice Streams API Reference (pdf | html) – a detailed reference describing the OpenSplice Streams API that supports a common data-distribution pattern where continuous flows or streams of data have to be transported with minimal overhead and therefore maximal achievable throughput.
- ISO/IEC C++ 2 API – a detailed reference describing the OpenSplice DDS DCPS API for programming ISO/IEC C++ 2 including examples. This C++ API is a new version of DCPS ISO/IEC C++ API.
- Java 5 API – a detailed reference describing the OpenSplice DDS DCPS API for programming Java 5 including examples. This Java API is the latest, simpler DDS API.
- C# API – a detailed reference describing the OpenSplice DDS DCPS API for the C# Language and other release notes.
- ISO C++ 2 FACE API – a detailed reference describing the OpenSplice DDS FACE API for programming ISO/IEC C++ 2 including examples.
- JAVA FACE API – a detailed reference describing the OpenSplice DDS FACE API for programming JAVA including examples
- RMI C++ API – a detailed reference describing the OpenSplice RMI API in C++.
- OpenSplice RMI JAVA API – a detailed reference describing the OpenSplice RMI API in Java.
- Python DCPS API Guide (pdf) (html) – information Python DCPS API.
The following manuals are in html format and can be found inside the distribution
- QosProvider Documentation (All languages) – a detailed reference describing the OpenSplice DDS DCPS API for the QosProvider.
- OpenSplice QoS Provider API Reference – a detailed reference on the OpenSplice QoS Provider API.
- Dynamic Network Partitions for RTNetworking API Reference – a detailed reference on topic-API for the Dynamic Network Partitions for RTNetworking feature.
If you are using an older version of OpenSplice DDS and want to upgrade to the latest version we provide some documentation to help you.
- V5-V6 Migration Guide – guide to assist OpenSplice V5 users to migrate to OpenSplice DDS V6.
- Migration Guide IsoC++ V2 – a guide to assist ISOCPP users to migrate to the new ISOCPP API